Truman Medical Center Hospital Hill Medical Laboratory Science Program offers small class size, student to instructor ratio of 4:1, and one-on-one clinical bench rotations. The Medical Laboratory Scientist field is experiencing a critical shortage: 12,000 new Medical Laboratory Scientists are needed each year, yet there are only 5,000 graduates each year. This means the Medical Laboratory Scientist field offers excellent employment opportunities and job security. Physicians base more than 70% of all decisions on laboratory testing (*see ASCLS article).
Truman Medical Center Hospital Hill Medical Laboratory Science Program runs 12 months starting in June with completion in May.
Seeking Accreditation, Spring 2020
National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
5600N. River Road, Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018-8880
• 4+1 Program
• 3+1 Program
• Includes didactic lectures and clinical rotations in Chemistry, Hematology, Immunology, Blood Bank, Microbiology and Management.
To educate professional laboratory scientists to provide excellent clinical services in order to enhance the quality of healthcare in our facilities and surrounding community.
• Cumulative GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
• Bachelor’s Degree, must include 16 hours of Biological Sciences and 16 hours of Chemistry credits
• Organic Chemistry
• College Algebra or Statistics
• Must be able to communicate
• Read and write in English
• Manual Dexterity
• Pass vision and color blindness test
• Excellent memory
• Problem solving skills
• Analytical ability
• Computer and mechanical skills
• React well in stressful situations
• Application Fee -- $25, non-refundable
• $700 books (if purchased new)
• Miscellaneous fees
• Occupational Health assessment
• Financial consideration
• May qualify for Federal Aid
• Potential PRN positions within the laboratory
• $3,000 tuition, checks made out to TMC and mailed
• 50% refund within the first five days of the start of the program
• 0% refund if dismissed for behavioral reasons
• Will work with students on case-by-case basis
• Application deadline 3-31-20
• Application fee
• Application online and paper copy at schools
• Three references: preferably 2 academic and one employer
• Official Transcripts
• Essential Functions Acknowledgement Form
• Signed Student Waiver of Rights Form
• Successful completion of the program
• Certificate allows MLS student to sit for a National Board of Registry for the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP)
• Graduation is not contingent upon passing the board exam
HOW TO SUBMIT PAYMENT
Mail payment to:
Truman Medical Center
Attn: Truman Medical Center Hospital Hill Medical Laboratory Science Program
2301 Holmes St.
Kansas City, MO. 64108
For detailed information, see the Student Handbook
Why Truman Medical Centers?
Truman Medical Centers has all the things you expect from a great health system. With two acute care academic hospital locations, the largest, most comprehensive behavioral health program in the area, a long-term care facility and multiple primary care practices, TMC provides care from birth through your senior years. We are the primary teaching hospital for the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine, so our doctors are academic specialists who teach tomorrow’s doctors the very latest updates in their respective specialties.
TMC Health Sciences District in downtown KC is the busiest Level One Trauma Center in the city. We provide the full range of services with specialities in chronic disease management, high risk pregnancy and sleep disorders along with state-of-the-art Richard and Annette Bloch Cancer Center.
TMC is an academic medical center providing accessible, state-of-the-art quality healthcare to our community regardless of the ability to pay.
Leading the way to a healthy community.